Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chasing the archive, day after day







I have been working up in the actual archive space at the Institute off and on for the past 2 weeks. Trying to photograph it in various styles, to evoke different feelings from it. Some questions arise about composition while others are about portrayal.





My process has become all about returning: the more photographs I take of the archive, the more I will be able to wrap my head around what I am doing and why. To turn into an image that which has been kept as precious object over time. It is not a cataloging process. I am not there to 'document' what is kept and stored. But rather to find something within the space, how it is arranged, what is left out of boxes and just sitting on a table and labeled, when does dust begin to settle and where does it land. Is it important to show that this is a Greenlandic- Arctic archive?





It has been refreshing to put the research and writing aside for awhile and concentrate on my photography and drawing.





We have set the date for my show at the Institute: my exhibition will run from April 14 through May 1. It is concurrent with the openhouse that will occur at Nordatlantens Brygge during the 3rd weekend in April. It is exciting to finally have an end date, a horizon line in sight, and also a little scary of course.

No comments: